At DGS’s 2015 Awards Luncheon, held Saturday, December 12, the Society honored the following for their contributions to the genealogical community:
- Award of Merit – Sandra Crowley, DGS Immediate Past President
- Volunteer of the Year – Todd DeDecker, DGS Webmaster
- Historic Preservation Award – Dallas Jewish Historical Society, Debra Polsky, Executive Director
- Bockstruck Distinguished Service Award – Sammie Townsend Lee, Dallas Public Library, Texas/Dallas History and Archives Division
- Renee Jackson Smith Award – Elizabeth Kutz, DGS Jewish SIG Leader and former President
- President’s Special Award – Jeri Steele, former IT Administrator, Treasurer, VP, and President of DGS
- 2015 Writing Contest Winners – Diane Gawedzinski, 1st place; RL Canady, 2nd place
Wholehearted congratulations to the winners with sincere acknowledgement of their dedication to family history research.
From l to r: Crowley, Polsky, Canady, Lee, Gawedzinski, Kutz, DeDecker. Missing-Steele
The DGS DIG will meet in the Hamon Room on the 5th floor of the J. Erik Jonsson Central Library in downtown Dallas from 6-8pm. Map
- Use DPL WIFI to look at some of the tools and filters on FTDNA and if needed, Ancestry or 23 and Me.
- Use Y-DNA and Family Finder: (From Mic) My Finch cousin is matching a man in England. Our Finch family left England and came to Virginia in the 1600’s. So, now it is looking like I am going to figure out from where in England my Finch family came from.
Mic Barnette, DIG leader, firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit my Blogs at:
The Dallas Genealogical Society announces that its 2016 Writing Contest will open for entries on January 1, 2016. This is the fourth year that the Society has sponsored this contest, which comes with cash prizes.
The contest is open to both members and non-members of DGS, as well as hobbyists and professionals. Only original material not previously published elsewhere in any format is eligible. Entries will be accepted January 1 through March 31, 2016. Winners will be announced in May 2016.
While DGS has a goal of preserving Dallas history, subject matter for the competition may range beyond the local geographic area. Articles may include
- advanced methodologies and case studies (not limited by geography)
- family histories and genealogies, particularly those linked to North Texas, including those who came from or left to settle elsewhere
- transcriptions, abstracts or indexes of record groups (including family records) not yet filmed or digitized that relate to Dallas or North Texas
- ethnic, house, or military histories related to Dallas and surrounding counties.
Entries will be judged on accuracy, clarity of writing, and overall impact and interest. First prize is $500; second prize is $300 and third prize is $100. Complete Rules.
Winning articles are eligible to be published in Pegasus: Journal of the Dallas Genealogical Society. Past winning entries can be read in the 2013, 2014 and 2015 Research Issues of Pegasus, which members can access through the DGS website. Use them as examples of outstanding research and writing. Non-members may view a preview of of the past few issues.
Send entries via email only, with “DGS Writing Competition” in the subject line to: email@example.com.
Celebrate the ending of 2015 with food, fun, and visiting starting at 6:00 p.m. in the Mesquite Main Library, . Map
Holiday Treats and Exciting Discoveries: Share a favorite holiday treat and your most exciting family discovery of the year. Please be prepared to limit your story to 5 minutes so everyone can participate.
Everyone is invited and welcome. You do not have to be a member to attend.
MHGS web site.
The MGRG Christmas meeting is Saturday, 12/5 at 2 PM in the McDermott Room on the 8th floor of the J. Erik Jonsson Central Library in downtown Dallas. Map
Traditionally, this is our potpourri meeting. I will go over a couple of things we covered earlier that some people missed and have requested a refresher on: the Book creation report in Reunion 11 and Wall charts (which I will bring again).
You are welcome to introduce any topic or ask any questions.
Feel free to bring treats to share.
Although it looks like we will have decent weather, I’m going to also introduce GoToMeeting for two reasons: 1. if you can’t make it downtown, you can join us online and 2. we will be able to record the meeting and post it on the DGS website.
I certainly hope you will come to the meeting in person but, if you can’t, click on the link below to join our meeting online.
See you soon!
MacGen Reunion Group
1. Please join the meeting, Dec 5, 2015 at 2:00 PM CDT. https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/669674837. Meeting ID: 669-674-837.
2. Use your microphone and speakers (VoIP) – a headset is recommended. Or, call in using your telephone.
- Dial +1 (872) 240-3212
- Access Code: 669-674-837
- Audio PIN: Shown after joining the meeting
This is your reminder for the Dallas Genealogical Society’s December Technology Special Interest Group meeting.
When: 6:00 – 8:00 pm on Thursday, December 3, 2015
Where: 5th Floor Hamon room, J Erik Jonsson Central Public Library Map
SIG Leader: Suzan Younger
Program: “Research and Publishing – Using Note Taking Applications.” Evernote and Microsoft OneNote are two of the most sophisticated and function-filled note taking applications available to genealogists. This presentation will do a high level presentation of both apps and a comparison of Word-OneNote-Evernote software for use in taking research notes.
For those of you who cannot join the group in person, you can still be part of the evening from home or wherever you happen to be at the time by joining the conversation using DGS’s GoTo Meeting account (note that we are limited to 25 users).
GoTo meeting is a web based tool that will allow you to see whatever the leader is showing the rest of the group on her PC. It also has an audio bridge and your choice of using your telephone or your PC’s microphone and speaker (actually a headset works better).
You will need to download some software (it’s free), and works on just about any type of PC, laptop, tablet or smart phone out there.
Thu, Dec. 3, 2015 5:30 PM – 8:00 PM Central Daylight Time
Please join the meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone. URL: https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/270215877. Access code: 270-215-877
There also is an audio only phone number: use this if you run into trouble getting connected: +1 (224) 501-3412 with the same Access Code: 270215877