Ever want to give back to the genealogy community? Sure you have! Get started by volunteering for a position on the DGS Board! Don’t worry – there are several folks who can assist you as you gain experience and expertise. In fact, to ensure a smooth transition, both outgoing and incoming Board members meet as needed June – August.
Officer Nominations Due March 31st!
The Nominations Committee will announce a slate of 4 officers at the April 1st DGS General Meeting: President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer.
*** We are particularly seeking a candidate for Treasurer. ***
The Treasurer pays the Society’s bills and reconciles accounts monthly. The Treasurer also:
- Makes brief reports to the general meeting regarding the state of the organization’s finances (account balances, income and expenses)
- Chairs the Budget Committee
It is helpful for the candidate to have a working knowledge of (or be willing to learn):
- A recent version of Quickbooks and Windows
- EXCEL (or another spreadsheet application) and Gmail
Read more about the Treasurer’s responsibilities. You might be a great fit!
Directors & Advisors
There are several additional open Board positions for you to consider!
Directors are appointed by the Executive Committee (DGS Officers and Immediate Past President) and ratified by the membership at the September General Meeting.We particularly need people for the following 4 positions!
- Education (Click Responsibilities & Duties.)
Selects programs for the general business meetings of the Society and coordinates the special interest groups.
- Publicity & Public Relations (Click Responsibilities & Duties.)
Promotes the Society and its activities through traditional and social marketing outlets.
- Publication Content (Click Responsibilities & Duties.)
Chairs the Publication Committee.
- Volunteer Coordination (Click Responsibilities & Duties.)
Develops a volunteer corps and manages its utilization.
Advisors participate in discussions at Board of Directors meetings. The President appoints the non-voting advisors to the Board. We particularly need people for the following 3 Advisor positions!
- IT Administrator
- Administers the Society’s neon CRM (Customer Relationship Management) software platform, which is used for managing membership information and event registration.
- Web Master
Develops and maintains the Society’s web presence.
- Editor of the DGS Newsletter
Edits and publishes our eNews, the Society’s digital newsletter.
Please feel free to contact the DGS President to discuss any position!
A Personal Note
In 2015, I agreed to be nominated for the position of Vice President of the DGS Board. Actually, I told the Nominations Committee that I would serve only if they could find no one else to do so. Surprisingly, they could not!
My reluctance was three-fold. On the one hand, my sister was dying and I was not sure how much time or energy I would be able to bring to the position. On the other hand, I am by dint of personality shy and not much of a joiner. On the third hand, I had recently retired and was not anxious to re-engage in organizational and managerial activities.
Gnawing at me was a sense of it being my turn to show up and give back.
Despite my hesitations, I was elected Vice President in May 2015 began my tenure on the DGS Board. I worked with a great group of volunteers and continue to enjoy their friendship and comaraderie. The benefits:
- I learned A LOT!
- About the genealogical community
- About the DGS
- About event management
- About Google tools and social apps
Please consider joining the DGS Board for the next year.
You might be a great fit!