The September meeting of the Dallas Genealogical Society’s Technology interest group will be held this Thursday, Sept 1, from 6 to 8pm on the 5th floor of the J. Erik Jonsson Central Library, 1515 Young Street, Dallas TX, 75201.
The presentation is “Paying it forward: public indexing projects.” All genealogists rely on indexes – at the back of a book, as a printed index for a record set or for an on-line database. These accessible indexes don’t come with the record group. And they don’t appear like magic. They must be created and maintained by organizations and individuals. Thousands of volunteers work on indexing projects every year as more and more records are made available on-line or in printed books. Are you one of those volunteers?
Join SIG leader Suzan Younger (email@example.com) as the group identifies various indexing projects and takes an in-depth look at two or three projects that need your help. Did you know that our Dallas Genealogical Society is looking for volunteers to help index Dallas County probate records?
The meeting is free and open to the public.
If you can’t attend in person, please join us from home via GotoMeeting: https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/270215877.
We need volunteers on Saturday morning, April 23, 2016 to help photograph the tombstones in historic Pleasant Mound Cemetery. The cemetery is located in South Dallas at 3151 South Buckner Boulevard, 75227.
This project is being conducted in cooperation with BillionGraves.com and MyHeritage.com. Volunteers needed include:
- Fifteen (15) people with smart phones to photograph the gravestones using the BillingGraves App (available for iOS, Microsoft and Android phones).
- Five (5) additional people to assist photographers, for example by holding back vegetation or holding light reflectors.
We will meet at the cemetery at 7:30 AM on Saturday, April 23. MyHeritage will provide food and beverages. We expect to finish around noon.
If you will be photographing with your smart phone, here are the things you need to do in advance:
- Register for a free account at BillionGraves
- Download the Billion Graves App and activate it
- Make sure you have a good amount of storage available on your phone to store the pictures! (Hint: Backup your photos to another location and erase them from your phone.)
- Charge your phone before you arrive at the cemetery!
You do not need to upload the gravestone pictures at the cemetery. To conserve data usage, you can upload your images later when you have WiFi access.