LOCATION: 3315 Rockmartin Drive, Farmers Branch, TX ( View on Google Maps )
This cemetery is located in a residential subdivision. The cemetery is fully fenced. There are “no trespassing” signs posted, and the cemetery is in a high-visibility area. The cemetery is maintained and active. The most recent burial dates to the 1990s.
DGS volunteers surveyed the cemetery in 1979. It was published in Dallas County Texas: Genealogical Data from Early Cemeteries, Vol. 1, 1982. The information has been updated slightly with information from death certificates.
GPS: 325519N, 0965159W
The Historic Texas Cemetery Marker says this:
In 1844, Harrison C. Marsh (1805-1889) and his wife, Mary “Polly” (Raymond) (1810-1888), natives of Harrison County, Kentucky, came from Independence, Missouri to Texas with their five children. They settled in Peters Colony on Farmers Branch Creek. Here they had two more children, and Harrison raised stock and farmed the land. Polly was a charter member of the Union Baptist Church, which later became First Baptist Church of Farmers Branch.The Marsh family grew, and many members became successful in farming, ranching, business, education and civic activities. Sons Thomas Corbin (1831-1899) and John David (1835-1900) both served as soldiers in the Confederate Army. Reflecting the Marshes’ prominence in the community, the family name appears on a street, Marsh Lane, as well as on a school, The Thomas C. Marsh Junior High School. In the 1880s, John David donated one acre of land here for a family graveyard. Among the earliest burials were those of two children of a family passing through the area. The marker for Elizabeth Mcallister, who died in 1874, represents the earliest recorded death. The resting place for generations of Marshes and other area residents, the cemetery is still open to Marsh family descendants. (2002)