So you want to discover more about your family? Here are some great resources to help you get started.\
Family Search is an outstanding, free resource that has a lot of information that will help you begin your journey of discovery quickly.
- Visit their ‘Research Process‘ page to gain an understanding of the steps you should consider when performing your family history research.
- Go to their ‘Learning Center‘ to view a series of 5 minute videos (scroll down the page and look for the ‘Beginning Genealogy Courses’ section)
- Start searching for your ancestors in their comprehensive collection of historical records
- They also host a comprehensive Research Wiki that has information about almost any genealogy topic or location.
Ancestry.com also has a lot of free resources available…
- Their Getting Started page has lots of good information to help you begin your research.
- They offer a good selection of free genealogy charts and forms
- They also provide blank census forms
- They host Message Boards on a wide variety of topics
The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) is the nations’ record keeper.
The Archives Library Information Center contains a wealth of information to help you get started.
- How to do genealogical research
- Helpful genealogy sites
- Resources around the world
- Searchable databases
- Ethnic Heritage
- State Archives
- Vital Records
- Genealogy blogs