The Dallas Genealogical Society hosted an anniversary party at its May 7, 2016 General Meeting, celebrating 60 years as a leader in Texas’s genealogy community. DGS was originally known as the Local History and Genealogical Society.
DGS members Tony Hanson, Barbara Ware, Kathleen Murray, and Carolyn Davis presented DGS@60, a slideshow history of the Society that capsulized 60 years of our involvement in genealogy education, the collection and preservation of genealogical records, and support of the Genealogy Division of the Dallas Public Library.
Highlights of the presentation included:
- historical documents about our founding and our original members
- workshops and institutes that we have sponsored over the decades, including DGS’s hosting of the 1997 Federation of Genealogical Societies Annual Conference
- records indexing and preservation activities, including local cemeteries and funeral homes, Dallas County records, and area church records
- our publications over the decades – Newsletters, Quarterlies, Journal, and currently Pegasus; Journal of the Dallas Genealogical Society
- contributing partner to the University of North Texas Portal to Texas History
- donation of over half a million dollars in money and materials to DPL
Lloyd Bockstruck (retired Head of the Genealogy Division of the Dallas Public Library), Shirley Sloat (a former DGS President), Suzan Younger (major contributor to DGS cemetery projects and a previous DGS Secretary), and Ora Penn (former editor of the Dallas Journal and leader of the McGowan Funeral Home Project) contributed their reminiscences about important DGS projects and programs.
DGS President Tony Hanson announced that, in honor of our 60th Anniversary, DGS has created a history timeline on our website. You can also access it from our home page by clicking on the Time Line link under the Home tab.
After the history presentation, our Hospitality team Linda and Bob Lane honored us with three choices of home-made cake. Fantastic!